It takes some time to work through all of it, but if you can make the time and have the bandwidth (it’s 55 MB), I highly recommend downloading the PSFK Future of Retail Report. The document has some wonderful discussion of the technologies coming to the fore in retail, including some examples that were new to me.
Take the time to read through it and get the full context of everything. They did a great job of bringing all of the trends together. Thanks to PSFK for doing the work, and putting it out there under creative commons.
A few of my favourite items from the deck:
- Subports – Purchase via Text Message. Such a simple concept that ties into impulse buying!
- Layar – Augmented reality app that now has ability to purchase content inside the app itself (requires iPhone 3Gs or android)
- Point Inside – Indoor maps of malls that allow you to see where you are
- FastMall – Turn by turn directions inside the mall
- GroceryIQ – iPhone app to track and organize grocery shopping.